What business can you open in a small town
Do you live in a small provincial town and dream of your own business in a metropolis? In order to become a successful businessman, it is not at all necessary to go to conquer the capital, because you can become the first where you live now. Take advantage of some of the ideas we offer for entrepreneurs from a small town and start your own business in your “small homeland”.
What are the differences between small businesses in big and small cities
In a small city compared to a large metropolis, the following features for doing business:
- Limited sales market or the need to spend money on logistics and deliver products to the end consumer in other settlements;
- Absence of any barriers to starting a business and a minimum of competitors, but underdeveloped market demand and low purchasing power of the population;
- Cheap labor, but at the same time difficulties in finding highly qualified specialists without flaws;
- Low costs of organizing production - lower rental rates , more free commercial space, more affordable repairs, less pathos and the need for extra costs;
- Cheap local raw materials, but expensive imported resources due to transportation costs;
- Availability of development incentives business and support from all kinds of official authorities;
- High value of reputation - mistakes are not forgotten here and it is difficult to find new clients.
If in a large district or regional center, in order to create your own business, significant start-up costs are required (after all, space, advertising, and personnel are expensive), then in a city with a small population this contribution can be minimized required to start a business.
Yes, in a small town there are fewer opportunities and not every idea is suitable for implementation in such a limited space, but the owner of the company will be able to easily manage all the processes and not lose control over his enterprise. Here and the scale is not the same. You can handle all the responsibilities of a family contract and not hire outsiders.
What kind of business you can open in a small town
Of course, you can open another store, as others do, but it is better to pick up the idea that no one else has used in your city before you. What is suitable for implementation within a small town:
Fitness center with group classes for children, a gym, yoga or Pilates group;
Many options can be selected and determined which business can be opened in your small town, looking at the experience of neighboring regions, for example, on the Avito website.
Many people who are planning to start their own business, unfairly believe that developing their business and making high profits is possible only in a big city. In fact, this is not the case for several reasons, the main ones will be discussed below.
To begin with, let's figure out what is “small town” in the concept of business technologists. This is considered a settlement with up to 100 thousand inhabitants. It should be noted that in Russia there are more than 83% of such cities, that is, business ideas for a small settlement open up great prospects, it is much easier and more profitable to open a business in a small town.
Own business for a small town
Living in a small community, there are many business opportunities. This is due to lower costs than in a metropolis and lack of competition.
Why do you need it?
Having opened his own business in a small town, a businessman first of all gets independence, the opportunity to earn quite large sums.
At the same time, a considerable part of the money is saved due to the fact that starting a business in a province bears much less cost than in cities with a million population.
In addition, you can be the first in the city to offer certain services, in which case the absence of competitors will quickly expand and strengthen your business.
Differences from large cities
There are quite a few differences, and almost all of them play into the hands of those who decided to start their own business in a small town.
Differences between small and large cities
There are many advantages of living in small towns. Here is some of them.
- There life flows slowly and measuredly. The population is more conscious about the choice of goods and services.
- People here are more conservative and less influenced by fashion. They prefer to spend more time looking for the right product at affordable prices.
- Everything is nearby, objects are close to each other.
- Much better ecology.
- Residents of tiny towns are less prone to stressful situations.
- The population does not spend money on public transport, and this significantly saves money.
- Small towns have almost everything the big ones do. If there is a need to travel to a large city, you can go there by private car or by public transport.
- A big difference between mentality and lifestyle.
- The population of small towns has its own established system of values, which determines their way of life.
- In small towns, the risk of crisis and globalization is reduced.
- The degree of protection against the risk of ruin due to reduced demand is slightly higher than in a large city.
Small-town business ideas
Residents of such settlements should not rush to choose the specifics of their future business. It is necessary to carefully weigh the pros and cons and only then make the only correct decision. Only in this case the work will bring you good profit. The ceiling for sales in small towns may be limited by population size and purchasing power.
It would be great to start your own franchise business. Franchises for a small town have hundreds or even thousands of titles. In this case, the entrepreneur can count on a loan and comprehensive assistance from the franchisee. This can help get things going well. It is much easier to work under a well-known brand.
Such dolls will constantly be in demand, both among children and adults. Moreover, Bumbazhiki is not just an ordinary doll, but an educational one. This product will always be in demand, especially since there are no competitors in this area. This product is completely unique. The cost of purchasing a ready-made proposal will be only 59 thousand rubles. Working on such a franchise will not only bring pleasure, but also bring income that will not keep you waiting long.
By the way, in Russia the number of small towns reaches more than 80% of the total. Great prospects are opening up in these places. It is much easier and more profitable to do business here than in a big city.
If you live in a small town where the main population is retirees and low-income people, then opening a beauty salon or an expensive supermarket there is simply illogical and unprofitable.
For miniature cities, it will be relevant to open a store selling cheap clothes and shoes, or pharmacies with socially low prices. This will bring the owner a small but steady income. Daily consumption goods will always be needed, so we can safely say that they will be in demand.
In order to start a business in rural areas, you should choose a direction for yourself. It can be the production of goods or the provision of services. In addition, it is necessary to analyze information about potential consumers and understand how much they need this product.
Only on the basis of these data can one start the development of a small company, which over time will be able to develop into a prosperous organization.
It is important to remember that many of the activities that are in demand in metropolitan areas most likely will not take root in a small village. They simply may not be in demand.
What is rural business?
In addition to standard types of business, you can actively develop crop or livestock farming in rural areas. So, fruits and vegetables grown on a personal plot can be sold to specialized stores. In addition, the cultivation of seeds is very popular.
Livestock is also a profitable business. In addition, if there is a small plot and the possibility of investing funds, an individual entrepreneur can organize an apiary. Honey has been valued at all times. This is a fairly expensive product, but it will take a lot of effort and time to develop it.
Rural business can be directed to meet the needs of local residents or to export to nearby cities.
Even the smallest village requires several grocery stores, a clothing and footwear store, and household workshops. This can be the repair of shoes, clothes, household appliances. In addition, you can try yourself in creative activities. For example, by organizing a hobby club, music club or sports section.
Starting a business in rural areas
Business creation in rural areas follows a standard algorithm. To begin with, you need to draw up a clear, maximally detailed business plan. It is on this document that in consequence it will be possible to track the profitability of the enterprise, possible deviations from the planned development plan and timely make adjustments to the activities.
An important step is registration of the organization with the tax authorities. If there is no tax office in the locality, the application will have to be sent to the district office.
If you think that small towns are unattractive for starting and developing your own business, then this opinion is wrong. It doesn't matter where you live - you can learn how to make money everywhere and, most importantly, with minimal investment.
If you are interested in how to start a business in a small settlement, where to start, how to avoid many mistakes at the very beginning of the journey, and what to pay attention to in the first place, then this article will be for you useful.
Business from scratch in a small town: pros and cons
So, if you have made the final decision to open a business in a small urban-type settlement, then you need to take a realistic look at the situation and weigh all the pros and cons of this venture.
Remember: starting your own business must be taken seriously, because if you make even the slightest mistake at the beginning, then you cannot do without big losses in the future.
What are the disadvantages of running a small business in a small town?
If you've read all of the above and are a little upset, you don't need to. Remember: where there are disadvantages, there will certainly be advantages. In everything you need to try to find something positive. Otherwise, you shouldn't get down to business.
Let's define the advantages of small business in a small settlement.
- The cost of rent. This can be called the "fattest" and decisive plus. In a small town, you can rent a huge room for a purely symbolic fee. A beautiful, presentable office can be rented for mere pennies.
- Lack of competition. If you manage to occupy a free niche in the market and thoroughly gain a foothold in it, then hardly anyone will succeed in moving you. You will be able to have exclusive rights to a certain type of activity for a long time.
- You can hire cheap labor for your company. In small towns, there is a problem with employment, so many are happy even with the minimum wage.
- In small towns it is much easier to gain credit from clients. If you manage to please one or several influential townspeople at once, you will soon be able to feel how quickly and effectively word of mouth works, and the whole town will start talking about you as a good businessman.
What kind of business can you do in a small town?
- According to statistics, the most profitable small business in Russia is sales. It will always exist. People will constantly buy and sell something. What kind of store can you open in a small town? Trade in food products, building materials, clothing and household chemicals is especially profitable.
- Many aspiring entrepreneurs are thriving in the provision of beauty and health services.
- Active and creative people can prove themselves in organizing various holidays. This does not require large investments, except for the purchase of musical equipment to accompany events and costumes.
- Creation of mini-factories is considered to be a profitable idea of small business for a small town. To accommodate a mini-workshop, you do not need large areas, which means you can save money on rent. These can be bakeries, sausage and dairy products, and small canneries.
- You can also make good money on the Internet. What is meant? Creation of websites or blogs, online consultations, work with applications, etc.