Social services business ideas
Head of the autonomous non-profit organization of additional professional education (ANO DPO) "Social support"
There are more and more elderly people, and they often need special care - health does not allow them to lead an independent lifestyle. And the state cannot provide support to everyone. In such cases, many turn to the services of private companies. Nikolay Kulkov, the head of the autonomous non-profit organization of additional professional education (ANO DPO) "Social support", talks about how to organize a social business to care for the elderly.
Life expectancy in Russia by 2030 should increase to 80 years. This task was set by President Putin. To fulfill it, it is planned to make our medicine more accessible, and the social support of the population - effective. How to help people of retirement age in this situation and build a business on this?
How to get to know your user and make money from it
Figures and facts
The demand for nursing home care services is and will continue to grow. This is evidenced by the study "Russian market of social services in 2021" by the Association of specialists in the field of social and medical care "Patronage". This organization is known for its participation in the development of a professional standard for caregivers, approved by the Ministry of Labor of the Russian Federation last year.
So what does the statistics say? There are more than three million people in Russia who need regular medical and social assistance, half of them - bedridden patients and elderly people - receive constant care, either in specialized boarding houses or at home.
Polls show that 90% of those in need of social services would like to stay in their home. There is such a person in every entrance of every apartment building.
The number of older people (over 65) in society is increasing. In Russia, according to forecasts, by 2050 their number will double - from 13% to 26%. At the same time, by 2021 there will be 30% more people over 80 - more than five million people. It is this category that basically needs patronage services.
Special attention has been paid to the development of social entrepreneurship in recent years. Despite the fact that there is still no definition of this term as such, this phenomenon has existed for several decades. In Russia, however, only now, on the initiative of the Ministry of Economic Development, they began to create centers of innovation in the social sphere.
What is social entrepreneurship
Social entrepreneurship is a business aimed at solving social problems. Making a profit for the purpose of business development is not a fundamental criterion for the success of a project. But the solution of pressing social issues is precisely the criterion that assesses how successful the project is.
Revival of cultural traditions, employment of vulnerable groups of the population, socialization of disabled people - all this forms the basis of social entrepreneurship.
The boom of social entrepreneurship is happening now in connection with a new approach, when entrepreneurs are trying not only to build a business, but also to help people solve some acute social problem. Making a profit is not in order to enrich yourself, but in order to help the project develop further and help more and more people.
A social entrepreneur solves certain social problems through his activities. If there is a business, but there is no problem, it is just business as usual. And when business solves a social problem, this is social entrepreneurship.
Types of Social Entrepreneurship
The socially significant types of small business include the following:
1. Organization of employment for disabled people. Job creation for people with disabilities is one of the types of social entrepreneurship. For example, a man from Ufa received a grant to develop a wheelchair repair workshop. The state supports such programs, firstly, because additional jobs are created for people with disabilities, and secondly, because such workshops allow saving the state budget.
2. Environmental business. Activities related to the improvement of the ecological situation.
What is social entrepreneurship?
The social entrepreneur is the subject and conductor of social entrepreneurship. If traditional entrepreneurs, as a rule, assess the success of their activities, focusing on profit, revenue (sales) or the value of shares, then for a social entrepreneur the main criterion for success is “social return”. Profit can be taken into account, but not as an end in itself, but as a means for further progress towards achieving social goals.
Among other important features of social business: innovation, self-sufficiency and financial sustainability, scalability and replicability.
Are there criteria for social entrepreneurship?
Federal Law 26. 7. 019 No. 245-FZ introduced amendments to article 24. "Support for small and medium-sized businesses operating in the field of social entrepreneurship" of Federal Law 24. 7. 007 No. 209- Federal Law "On the development of small and medium-sized businesses in the Russian Federation." This amendment introduces for the first time official definitions for “social entrepreneurship” and “social enterprise”, and also defines the main criteria for classifying small and medium-sized enterprises in the social sphere.
According to this amendment, a small and medium-sized enterprise will be considered a social enterprise if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
1) provides employment for certain categories of citizens (disabled, single and large parents raising minor children, retirees and pre-retirees, graduates of orphanages, former convicts, refugees, the poor, etc.);
2) participates in the sale of goods (works, services) produced by citizens from among the specified categories;
3) carries out activities aimed at the production of goods (works, services) targeted at the specified categories of citizens;
4) a small or medium-sized business entity carries out activities of a certain type aimed at achieving socially useful goals and contributing to the solution of social problems of society.
How is social entrepreneurship different from business social responsibility?
The high social responsibility of many large commercial companies significantly improves the welfare of the territory where these companies are located. These firms are withdrawing their non-core assets associated with the provision of various social services to employees and their families, for example, private kindergartens or trips to health camps. Sometimes companies buy the necessary social services for their employees from independent legal entities, which also helps to solve the social difficulties of their employees and their families.
The social responsibility of large firms is very similar to the activities of social enterprises, but at the same time it is aimed at a narrow circle of consumers.
Social entrepreneurship is a new direction of state support for business. The creation of a business plan for social entrepreneurship has its own essential specifics. In order to understand the specifics of writing a business plan for social entrepreneurship, you need to define the terms.
In the Regulation on Grant Support, you can find the following definition:
Social entrepreneurship is a socially oriented activity of small business entities aimed at achieving socially useful goals, including providing employment, providing support to people with disabilities, elderly citizens and people in difficult life situations.
Creating a business plan for social entrepreneurship has its own specifics. In order to write a competent business plan for social entrepreneurship that can win a grant, it is better to turn to specialists.
Examples of business lines related to social entrepreneurship
The subject of social entrepreneurship carries out activities in the following areas of activity:
- assistance in vocational guidance and employment of persons belonging to socially unprotected groups of citizens;
- social services for persons belonging to socially unprotected groups of citizens, conducting classes in children's and youth circles, sections, studios, activities of preschool educational organizations, providing paid services for looking after children and the sick;
- organization of social tourism in terms of excursion and educational tours for persons belonging to socially vulnerable groups of citizens;
- assistance to victims of natural disasters, refugees and internally displaced persons;
Hello, dear readers and subscribers of our channel! We continue to monitor changes in legislation and inform you about significant changes related to business.
On July 26, 2021, Law No. 245-ФЗ was signed and entered into force, which introduces into another Federal Law ("On the Development of SMEs in the Russian Federation", No. 209-ФЗ dated 24.7.7) such concepts as "social entrepreneurship" and "social enterprise".
All those who will fall under these criteria, the state promises support - including material (in the form of subsidies) and property (for example, access to lease of state property on preferential terms).
What needs to be done to make the business "social"?
In order for an enterprise to be supported, it must meet at least one of the 4 conditions listed in the new Federal Law No. 245-FZ of July 26, 2021.
Provides employment for the "socially vulnerable" strata of citizens
Moreover, the share of such citizens should be at least 50% (but not less than 2 people) of the average payroll of the enterprise, and the amount of their wages should be at least 25% of total labor costs.
Here are the categories of citizens that need to be provided with jobs:
- people with disabilities and people with disabilities;
- mothers / single fathers and large families, incl. bringing up disabled children;
- current and "future" pensioners (5 years before retirement);
- orphanages under 23;
- former prisoners who have not or outstanding convictions;
- refugees, internally displaced persons;
- the poor, "No Determined Place of Residence", as well as those recognized in need of social support.
Sells goods / works / services produced by citizens with a "disadvantaged status"
That is, all persons from the above list. But there are 2 conditions:
1. The share of income from such activities must be at least 50% of all income received by the enterprise.