How to start a cheese making business at home
Due to the popularity of cheese as a product, many are interested in how to organize cheese making at home. Business is a profitable business, but only if it is properly organized.
Organization of a cheese dairy at home
Cheese making is considered a profitable business, which will bring income in the first month. Business does not require large investments. The demand for this area is due to the following factors:
Any entrepreneur can quickly learn how to make cheese at home. The main thing is to organize the enterprise correctly. To begin with, it is worth choosing a premises for production, equipping it, purchasing and installing equipment, and after that, register and formalize the business.
Before starting homemade cheese making, it is worth choosing the right cheese. This affects the organization of its own production.
These are classic cheeses. In Russia, this category is considered popular, it provides a profit from sales. The advantages also include a long service life, a high price in the market.
Often the group is combined with solid varieties.
According to the manufacturing principle, there are two types of cheese:
- Abomasum - enzyme supplements are used in their preparation
- Fermented milk - their preparation is based on the use of special ferments
Many owners of subsidiary farms are thinking about how to start a cheese production at home. It is difficult to drink milk from even two cows on your own, and selling it is not profitable, since the nearest market is often not close.
It is much more profitable to produce some product from milk and sell it already. In this article, we'll show you how to make delicious homemade cheese and how much income such a business can generate.
What you need to make cheese
Contrary to popular belief, the technology for making cheese is quite simple, and there are no problems in making it at home - no special equipment is required for this.
So, for the preparation of most varieties of hard, soft, processed and pickled cheeses, the simplest utensils are enough:
- a saucepan (3-7 liters, preferably aluminum);
- metal strainer (an ordinary colander with small holes is suitable);
- several containers (any bowls);
- a couple of tablespoons;
- a cutting board (preferably large) ;
- spoon with long handle.
Since some recipes involve hand kneading hot cheese, silicone protective gloves may also be required.
All types of cheese are prepared using one of two technologies: mixing milk with special clotting enzymes, or melting.
The first technology involves the production of cheese directly from milk (the enzyme separates milk into whey and cottage cheese), and the second - from milk and cottage cheese.
This technology assumes the use of special bacteria or enzymes. They are used to speed up the clotting process of milk and to separate it into milk and curd.
You can buy these components either in spice shops, where they are, however, not often found, or in pharmacies.
How to start making cheese at home
Today in stores on the shelves you can see a large number of different types of cheese from processed to hard varieties. This diversity enables the buyer to choose the most suitable product for himself, both in terms of taste and price policy. At any time, the demand for cheese has remained high, so there is a lot of competition in this market segment. However, even making allowances for this factor, a cheese making business will be a profitable investment.
For the implementation of the idea, it does not matter at all whether the entrepreneur has work experience or is just starting his career to start implementing the idea, in any case, it is necessary to draw up a business plan. Making cheese will be an efficient and profitable investment if you have a smart business plan. It will help to assess not only the demand for the product, but also the competition in this market segment, the amount of financial investments and the payback period of this business idea. In addition, proper planning will help to make optimal forecasts regarding the bulk of the difficulties during the production of cheese and will not allow serious mistakes during the implementation of the idea.
For the preparation of such a fermented milk product as cheese, sour milk is used as raw material, which, according to a certain technology, is kept from one to thirty days. At the initial stage of development of the enterprise, you should not take up the production of expensive elite cheese. It is recommended to find a recipe for a popular variety of this fermented milk product and, following the technology exactly, try to prepare it. Each subsequent batch will surpass the previous one in taste characteristics, and by constantly tasting the cheeses, you can develop an idea of the true taste of good cheese that will appeal to customers and provide a constant clientele.
A small-scale mini-shop that processes up to hundreds of kilograms of milk per day can be freely located on an area of two dozen "squares". The equipment is not bulky, so it will not be difficult to locate it in a small area.
The main thing is that the room meets the following parameters:
free access to hot and cold water;
good ventilation of the room;
Paperwork for business registration
The business idea for the production of hard cheese at home is consistently profitable and does not require large investments. This fact is due to many factors that are all described in this article. The main ones are:
- Affordable Home Business Equipment.
- The ability to produce a wide range of cheeses at home using the same equipment.
- There will always be demand for all types of cheese.
- Even a beginner in business will be able to establish a sales market.
- The profitability of some varieties may exceed 200%!
Anyone can learn how to make cottage cheese or hard cheese at home. Over time, experience will appear and a homemade cheese maker will be able to produce elite varieties of this most useful dairy product.
Cheese production as a business: mini-workshop
Mini-cheese production as a business has several of its preferential economic justifications. In general, the estimated profitability of our own production is not difficult to calculate. If you buy milk in the countryside from the population at $ 0.25 per 1 liter. With a yield of 10% from 100 liters, we get 10 kg of hard cheese, the price of which starts from $ 8 per 1 kg. And addition: $ 8 * 10kg = $ 80 income - ($ 0.25 * 100l.) = $ 55 dirty profit. Making cheese at home is especially beneficial in rural areas. Where there are minimal (or no) transportation costs for milk delivery. Let's take a look at the business profitability and cheese production line in numbers:
- The yield of the finished product during cheese making depends on its type: 10% hard cheeses; 15% semi-solid; 20% cottage cheese and soft cheese varieties. But with a steam room approach and the use of a container for receiving milk, the yield can be significantly increased (this will be described below).
- The cheese takes 1.5-4 hours to boil. This feature of the technology has a positive effect on the productivity of home production. Indeed, it is realistic to perform 3-4 brews per day.
- All types of cheese products can be produced on the same equipment, with the exception of some aesthetic varieties.
- A room for storing cheese with good ventilation and the ability to maintain the temperature from +4 to +12 degrees is required. Areas of 10-15 sq.m. will be enough.
- The main thing you can't do without is a cheese maker. Its price starts at $ 500 for 10 liters of cooking. The most popular small business cheesemaking companies use 25 liter dairies worth $ 4000. Country producer of the best cheese makers - Italy. We recommend paying attention to the inexpensive Italian manufacturer "Sfoggi". Although you can buy a budget version of the domestic manufacturer "Minicheese", which offers cheese makers for 60 liters at a price of $ 3250.
The home production line can be gradually complemented with additional equipment to increase the profitability and productivity of the line.
Equipment for the production of cheese at home
The cheese line is in no way limited to home conditions. It can only consist of basic equipment. But over time, it is advisable to acquire auxiliary equipment. A mini cheese factory can be assembled from the following equipment:
- Cheese maker with a 1.5 kW heating element (quite acceptable for domestic conditions). She must be able to connect to running water. For precise control of temperature conditions, the cheese maker is equipped with a special thermostat with a program control unit.
- Milk sterilizer.
- Colander for filtering grain-like mass.
- Food grade plastic molds.
- 5 kg cylindrical weights for pressing semi-hard cheeses. Or a press for the production of hard cheese.
- The pickling container is a food grade stainless steel container (not magnetised).
- Forming table and shelving in neutral wood (eg linden).
Auxiliary equipment allows increasing the productivity of the cheese-making complex. This includes:
- Milk cooler.
- Food-grade plastic container for draining a semi-annual product.
- Special container for whey collection.
What are the features of such a business
Lactic acid bacteria and enzymes are used to produce valuable food such as cheese. The business can be called interesting, it brings good profit to its owners. To implement an idea into reality, you need to think over a plan for running and building a business and ways to implement it.
It is clear that making products at home at home is much tastier and healthier, as it comes without adding dyes, flavors, etc. If you are faced with a choice of what business to do, stop at cheese making. To get started in such a business, too much money will not be required. You just need to buy raw materials and equipment. If you don't have money for equipment, you can first rent it from other cheese dairies, and then collect it for your own. Ideally, if you still have your own farm, where you will immediately take milk for your further production.
Why is it so profitable to open a cheese making production
Recently, people in Russia began to pay special attention to the composition of food. And cheese is one of the most popular and healthy products among those that are as close to natural as possible. On store shelves, their selection is huge - from ordinary processed cheese curds to elite moldy cheeses. Therefore, such a business as cheese production can bring good profits to its owners.
Why production does not require large investments, but can bring good profit? There are several reasons for this:
- equipment is available and suitable for doing business at home;
- the same equipment allows you to produce different types of cheese, increasing your assortment; <
- the demand for cheese has never died out in the modern economy;
- even a beginner will be able to find ways of marketing in this business;
- the profitability of some types can reach 200%.
At first, you will be making simple cheeses using cow's or goat's milk. Over time, you will develop, gain experience, purchase new equipment and be able to produce elite varieties.
Finding sales paths
The most profitable option is suitable for those who already have a farming business in the village and have long been raising domestic animals - cows and goats for the sale of milk. Such a farmer can also engage in cheese making, increasing and developing his business.