Pet shop business plan
Opening a pet store, with the right approach, can be a great business. Pets - fish, birds, cats, dogs and even reptiles - are present in almost every home and they all want to eat and have fun. Loving owners are ready to spend money on their pets, which means they will come to the pet store.
If you have already got an idea for opening a pet store, it will not be superfluous to find out what formats such stores exist.
- The smallest and least expensive option would be to open a small shop with an area of 10 square meters or more, which does not require a license. There it will be possible to sell food, toys and animal care products.
- A more solid store with an area of 60 square meters, selling not only everything for animals, but also the animals themselves. To open a pet store of this format, permits and licenses are required. The staff must include a veterinarian.
- A pet shop with a narrow specialization and offering a full range of services in its specialization. As a rule, these are stores specializing in aquaristics. The staff in such a store must have broad knowledge in this area in order to be able to competently and fully advise customers.
- Finally, the largest format is the zoo center. In this format of a pet store, the maximum range of products and services for animals is presented. This format can include a clinic, a shop, a hairdresser, a hotel and an atelier for animals.
Sample Business Plan
Where to start opening a pet store? Of course, with drawing up a business plan - this will allow you to get an idea of the upcoming expenses at the initial stage. Consider a pet store business plan with calculations for an average store with an area of about 60 square meters.
- rent from 30 thousand rubles a month;
- registration and repair from 40 thousand rubles;
- equipment from 80 thousand rubles;
- purchase of goods from 250 thousand rubles;
- advertising from 10 thousand rubles;
- staff salaries from 45 thousand per month;
- unforeseen expenses from 10 thousand rubles per month;
- utility bills from 10 thousand rubles per month;
- taxes depending on the chosen form of ownership.
Total initial expenses are 525 thousand rubles plus taxes. Monthly expenses will be from 95 thousand rubles. The average check in stores of this format is from 200 rubles. With a attendance of 30 people per day, the monthly revenue will be 180 thousand rubles. Payback will come in 7-8 months.
With the right approach to advertising and choosing a good place for the store, traffic can reach 90-100 people a day, but this is after a large number of potential customers find out about the store.
Selection of premises
Before starting a pet store from scratch, you need to choose a suitable room. The main criterion for the selection of premises is its location. It is important to pay attention to the number of people visiting this place. Of course, the best place, especially for a large store or a pet center, will be the central part of the city. If for some reason you have not chosen a center, then you can open a pet store in a residential area, a large shopping center or not far from a veterinary clinic.
If we consider the option of a sleeping area as the location of your future brainchild, then it makes sense to think about buying out an apartment on the first floor, of course, if you have financial capabilities, and transferring it to a non-residential fund. In this case, you can not worry about the growing rent.
Naturally, the premises for the future store must be in good condition, otherwise, you will need to invest a lot of money in renovations.
Every pet needs not only regular food, but also various accessories: collars, toys, clothes, etc. Therefore, opening a pet store can be safely called a good idea.
Market and Competitor Analysis
Before opening a store that will present various products for animals, it is necessary to carefully study the market and analyze the mistakes made earlier by competitors. The presence of a similar point in the region should not be a reason for frustration, on the contrary, it indicates that this type of activity is popular.
Despite the fact that the country's economy is rich in periodic difficulties, this market can be called one of the most promising, as it is resistant to economic downturns. Even if a reduction in the expenditure side of the family budget is required, the cost of pets is reduced insignificantly.
A slight decrease in the cost of products can lure a significant part of buyers from competitors. The assortment of a new pet store should include those products that opponents do not have. By the way, every person is pleased when he is presented with gifts, so a small trifle presented to a customer can later become a decisive factor when choosing a store.
Step-by-step instructions for opening such a project are presented in the following video:
When choosing a room, you should proceed from the following factors:
- No competitors in the immediate vicinity.
- High permeability. So, the best place is a large shopping center located in a residential area or in the central part of the city.
- The size of the retail space must be at least 50 sq. m, since it is necessary to organize not only a spacious trading floor, but also leave space for a warehouse and utility room.
- Mandatory ground or ground floor.
You can significantly save on the purchase of equipment as follows: ask the suppliers of food for cats and dogs to provide plastic racks for temporary use. Of course, they cannot be called as easy to use as those made of metal, but they attract buyers with their beautiful and bright design.
The approximate initial cost for opening an average pet store, which includes 2 departments: pet supplies and medicines, will amount to 1.3 million rubles, including:
- repair work - 800 thousand rubles;
- video surveillance system, air conditioners, fire safety system - 130 thousand rubles;
- recruiting agency services - 20 thousand rubles;
- trade equipment - 30 thousand rubles;
- computer equipment and installation of a local network - 100 thousand rubles; li >
- furniture and shop windows - 120 thousand rubles;
- marketing campaign - 100 thousand rubles.
Most people love animals. If someone else does not have a pet, then for sure they would not refuse to have a cat, dog, parrot or any other living creature. Animals require special care and special nutrition, and how can you not pamper your pet with another toy?
All this suggests that such a business idea as opening a pet store can be a good start in your own business.
Download the pet store business plan
For more details on the financial side of the business, see the example of a ready-made business plan for a pet store with calculations, which can be downloaded for free on our website. download the business plan of the pet store
How to open a pet store
If you want to open a pet store, then you should carefully study the specifics of this market in your area. After all, animals are a special product, and you also need to treat them in a special way. First, let's explain what is needed to open such a store.
Business registration and required documents
It is most convenient to arrange such a business as an LLC, and if the store is very small, then it can be done as an individual entrepreneur. It is worth approaching the collection of documents for registering a business responsibly, since the absence or incorrect registration of at least one of them can become a serious obstacle on the way to the goal. So, you will need documents like this:
- Permission from the Trade Office.
- Certificate of registration with the Pension Fund and the Tax Inspectorate.
- License for pharmaceutical activities (if you plan to sell medicinal products for animals).
- Permits from the State Veterinary Administration (veterinary certificate, animal import permits, etc.)
- Documentation from the sanitary and epidemiological station and fire inspection.
The main commodity is, of course, the animals themselves. However, pet stores also have good profits from the sale of various pet products, so you should not lose sight of this. What animals should you buy? Much depends on the degree of your riskiness and your financial capabilities. Indeed, many species of animals (especially exotic) require special care. The animals will live and grow in your store until they are purchased, and all this time you will have to keep and care for them.
Pets are not only cats and dogs, although they account for more than 60% of the total number of pets living in houses and apartments. People give birth to hamsters, decorative rats, parrots, chinchillas, turtles, fish and other types of our smaller brothers. In this regard, the relevance of the store for animals and the demand for relevant products remains high. For a successful start of a retail outlet, you need a well-thought-out business plan for a pet store with financial calculations, an assessment of competitors and risks.
Brief description of business idea, relevance
The pet store is a demanded niche that is rapidly developing. Business is relevant for a city with a population of 50,000 people, and more than 80% of all settlements in the country fit this parameter.
The goal is to open a small or medium pet store (area from 25 sq. m.) with a payback period of 3-5 months.
Means to achieve the goal - starting capital in the amount of 350,000 rubles, competent marketing strategy and business plan.
The result is a net profit in the limit of 100,000 rubles after six months of work.
Advantages and disadvantages of doing business
- low investment - compared to the grocery business, opening a pet store can save you money. In particular, this concerns the low start-up capital, the minimum list of renovation work of the premises and the lack of the need for a large number of employees;
- low competition - there are pet stores in every district of the city, but the market is not oversaturated with goods for animals; <
- demand - there are pets in every second family. And if people are forced to save on any goods or services, this does not apply to pets. Pets still need food and receive it in full;
- standard requirements for opening a retail outlet - the sale of everyday and related products does not require special permits;
- profitability - in the combination of all factors, the business quickly pays off due to a rather large mark-up and a large turnover of products.
- understanding the topic - it is impossible to open a profitable pet store without a love of animals and an understanding of the basic needs of pet owners. It is necessary to constantly monitor the market for new products and accessories, conduct a comparative analysis of competitors and even predict the demand for a particular product;
- risks - in any business there are risk factors, in the presence of which the business may turn out to be unprofitable. For example, a high density of competing points in the area where a pet store is supposed to open. Or target audience - even if there is not a single market for animals in the district, this does not mean 100% result of a business idea;
- difficulties in finding personnel - a pet store requires not just a sales assistant, but a specialist with knowledge affairs. Ideally, someone with a veterinary education or work experience is needed.
Help: it's not difficult to find a seller, but buyers, entering a store, ask a lot of questions about the quality and manufacturer of the product. If these are medications, then the employee is obliged to give a complete answer on indications and contraindications for use. Without special knowledge, an ordinary salesperson will not be able to cope with the position.
Almost every second person has a pet. All of them require not only attention, but also care. Therefore, an independently written business plan of a pet store with calculations will be a popular activity.
Our project will be implemented in a small town with a population of 150 thousand inhabitants. At the initial stage, we plan to open a small animal store, after that, of course, if the business goes well and will be profitable, then we will begin to expand and open additional points of sale.
When composing a pet store business plan from scratch, you need to consider some general information on it:
- The population of the city, where our store will open, totals 150 thousand people.
- We are planning to open the store in counter form.
- We will be located in a residential high-rise building on the ground floor.
- We take this room under a lease agreement and its total area is 20 square meters.
- The store plans to carry out work from 09-00 to 20-00 o'clock.
- In total, it is planned to hire two employees.
- To open, taking into account the business plan of a pet store with calculations, we need to have about 700 thousand rubles. This entire amount will be allocated to the business owners from personal funds.
According to preliminary data, the monthly income of the pet store will be 57 thousand 333 rubles. Consequently, the payback of the store will not occur earlier than in a year. However, it is a lucrative business.
In order to start a successful business, we need to invest in the following:
- Purchase equipment for trade for 100 thousand rubles.
- Rent a room and pay immediately two months in advance - 50 thousand rubles.
- Create an assortment of goods at the first stage of work - 480 thousand rubles.
- Advertising campaign - 40 thousand rubles.
- The amount of unforeseen expenses will be 30 thousand rubles.
Thus, all this will take us 700 thousand rubles.
Choice of taxation system
We will register our future organization as an individual entrepreneur, as this is the best choice, in our opinion. The business plan for opening a pet store is designed to apply business taxation in the form of a single tax on imputed income. This system will be the most profitable for us, since the tax is taken, focusing not on the amount of the organization's profit, but on the total area that it occupies, and we have only 25 square meters.