How to start an advertising business from scratch
From this material you will learn:
- What is the difference between organic and creative advertising
- The goals of creative advertising
- Advantages and disadvantages of creative advertising
- Do you need creative advertising at all
- Who needs creative advertising
- Types of creative advertising
- How to create a creative advertising image
- 10 best exercises for development of creativity
- Why creative advertising doesn't work
- 5 rules of effective creative advertising
- Loud ad failures
Creative advertising is one of the most effective tools for business promotion. But to find a response from the consumer, the message must be original and extraordinary. Only in this case, the creative will attract attention, arouse interest and involve a potential buyer in the interaction process.
It doesn't take much effort to create such a masterpiece, although the process of developing a memorable ad itself is not devoid of nuances that should be considered in more detail.
What is the difference between regular and creative ads
Everyone has come across standard advertising. This is the most persistent and at the same time simple type of her. Standard promotion is designed to be understood by every person, so his message is unambiguous, effective, without multifaceted images and hidden meanings. The challenge is to influence the audience the first time.
Standard advertising is a great way to get the word out about a company here and now, without going deep into building marketing strategies and developing a complex concept. Its advantages are the speed of production, the ability to meet even a modest budget and, most importantly, the speed of notification of potential consumers.
When a manufacturer has a specific message for customers, it doesn't need any special fancy. For example, a fifty percent discount is announced. Such a generous offer will definitely attract attention because it is profitable, and not because of the fact that the ad appeared on TV. The biggest discount and its value to the customer focus on advertising, not vice versa.
Creative advertising is usually opposed to standard methods of promotion. This is an unconventional way to draw people's attention to a product or service. Creativity can be provocative and provocative, as its goal is to catch the attention of buyers by any means. They can be unusual, not always clear, but definitely catchy, arousing interest. If, for example, a product campaign contains some kind of understatement, a riddle, then people tend to solve it and therefore remember it. In any case, creative ads usually stand out from the stream of more or less similar marketing messages.
The distinguishing features of creative advertising are its memorability and stable interest in it. Unusual decisions are remembered better, because the human brain imprints in memory the information that is associated with difficult mental activity. Since non-standard promotion involves clever presentation of information, intelligent work will be required. Accordingly, everything worked out remains in the memory of consumers.
Creative advertising is used in the absence of a price offer favorable to the buyer. If there is no benefit to the consumer, then an emotional impact and a statement of product value are required. The most interesting forms of this method of promotion are considered to be a teaser (from English to tease - "to tease") and a plizer (from English to please - "to satisfy"). The teaser is based on a mysterious image that is shown everywhere, and then it is replaced by another image, already with a guess. Teasers are attractive because they at least arouse curiosity, and after solving them - positive feelings from receiving an answer, including from their quick wits, if the person already understood what it was about, even before the posters with the solution appeared.
Creative Advertising Goals
Creativity is the engine of progress, not so old, but true truth. Interesting advertising ideas are worth their weight in gold 24/7. Strategies, tactics, slogans and vivid visualizations - what tricks marketers do not use to capture the attention of the consumer audience, create creative advertising, and make it viral. We bring to your attention a selection of seven creative ideas for advertising campaigns in Runet and abroad.
Idea - what is the product / is made of?
Natural ingredients have been in trend for several years, both in the food industry and in cosmetology, household chemicals and many others.
Let us recall the advertisement for Dobry juice, where the attention of the audience was focused on the fact that the apples from which this "natural product" is made are only homemade.
Another example was the French company Vichi, which focused on the fact that the water that is part of the healing cosmetics of this brand was "born" exclusively in natural sources.
Idea - associative series
An example of a successful strategy based on associations is an advertisement for Bonjour sweets, where men in aprons make sweets with their own hands, then placing them in beautiful packages with the inscription: Bonjour. Ten years ago, advertising entered the Top 10 best advertisements of the year, and the product itself entered the Top 3 brands in the confectionery category. Choosing sweets on the shelves and noticing Bonjour sweets, a pleasant association involuntarily occurs to the majority of the fair half of humanity.
Advertising slogan: "Bonjour dessert - all for the sake of female pleasure."
Idea - packaging as the basis of the strategy
A good example is a RICH juice package, each face of which contains one letter of the brand name. The idea is to "twist" the package in your hands and thus read the whole name.
The tactics of another trade mark from the same segment, namely the Odessa Baby Food Cannery, whose “modest” packaging won many fans eight years ago, has become no less successful. The main idea behind the rebranding of the OKZP trademark was that the consumer would pay only for the contents, which is juice, and not for the packaging, which would make the purchase cheaper and would not affect the quality.
Aspiring entrepreneurs who dream of independence and self-profit often consider starting their own advertising business. Where to start and how difficult is it? Advertising is a very promising direction, but at the same time it requires specific knowledge, the ability to combine a creative and pragmatic approach. How to put it into practice?
Advertising business - promising, but dangerous
Any modern business uses advertising to promote the market, increase the number of customers and eliminate competitors. Such services are needed both by small private firms and huge industrial giants (remember, even Gazprom advertises itself, although this company is essentially a monopoly).
For the modern consumer, it is important not only to purchase a product, but also to be sure that he has made the best possible choice. Convincing a person of this is not as easy as it might seem at first glance. Therefore, advertising agencies will be in great demand for a long time as professionals in the field of attracting attention and creating an image.
On the other hand, competition in the advertising business is very high, and it will always be difficult for a startup company to compete with large agencies offering a wide range of a wide variety of turnkey services. We will tell you how to create a successful advertising company, even without impressive initial capital, and find your niche in the market.
What are the types of advertising agencies
To understand how an advertising agency works, you first need to know that there are several types of such firms. The classification criterion is the specifics of the work and the range of services provided:
- Creative agencies or design studios - specialize in developing ideas for marketing campaigns, logos and brand names, slogans. In general, they create the basis for the further promotion of the client's business.
- Internet agencies are engaged in advertising in the virtual space (contextual, targeting, any other types), as well as creating websites and maintaining accounts in social networks.
- Firms specializing in outdoor advertising - produce posters, banners, banners. They can only deal with printing and installation, but sometimes they rent out advertising structures for placing ads and develop their own sketches.
- Media buying companies in the course of their work promote clients through the media. They organize advertising campaigns on television, radio, print and online publications.
- PR agencies are essentially similar to media buying companies, but they work more comprehensively and create a positive image for the client among potential buyers (both in general and in a particular category).
- BTL agencies carry out promotions, special events, organize holidays and events that help to increase the number of potential buyers and form a positive image of the company in them.
- Specialized advertising agencies - such companies are distinguished by their specialization in a particular market sector. For example, a firm may specialize in advertising for clothing, mobile or home appliances, and so on. They are not so common in the market, as they lose in the competition due to a reduced customer base.
- Marketing research companies. They are not advertising agencies in the usual sense of the word, since they do not advertise the client, but study the state of the market in his industry and the marketing campaigns of competitors (price level, potential audience, slogans and logos). In fact, like design studios, marketing research companies prepare the basis for further work of advertisers and marketers.
- Full cycle advertising agencies or "universal" - provide the entire list of the above services. They provide a comprehensive customer service: from the development of a brand name to a large-scale advertising campaign in the media space and placement on outdoor structures.
It is virtually impossible to build a full-cycle advertising agency from scratch: it requires impressive funds, a large team of professionals, experience and connections in this area. Therefore, you need to start with some one industry, and if successful, develop and expand.
Also, all agencies can be conditionally divided into local and federal - that is, depending on the scale of work. Most advertising agencies operate only at the local, regional level. Going to the scale of the whole country is quite difficult, but you can also make good money locally.
Which direction of work in the field of advertising is more promising
All of the above types of advertising agencies are widely represented in the market, they work successfully and bring their owners a stable profit. It is impossible to call any direction more promising, all types of advertising are equally in demand among clients. Therefore, you need to stop your choice in the direction that is closer and more understandable to the entrepreneur.
Who do advertising companies work with and why it's important to know
Today, in order to win the competition, it is not enough to produce quality goods and sell them at an affordable price. You need to interest potential buyers with your products.
Traditional advertising has long irritated consumers. But creative actions and original presentation of material are able to tune people into the desired emotional mood.
The term "creative advertising" consists of two concepts:
- "Advertising" is translated from Latin as "shout out, approve". In the modern sense, this is information disseminated in one form or another, addressed to the target audience and aimed at attracting attention, forming and retaining consumer interest in the promoted product.
- "Creative" is translated from English as "creativity". However, this term also has Latin roots and originated from the word "creatio" - "creation". Western marketers introduced this concept into everyday life at the end of the last century.
That is, we can say that creative advertising is a creative activity that uses non-standard ideas, methods and forms to promote an object to the market, as well as to form and maintain audience loyalty to it.
With its help, marketers push people to purchase a specific product or order a specific service. Moreover, the choice of consumers can be either deliberate or not.
On the examples of creative advertising, one can understand that the ideas used to promote certain products are a kind of art, albeit carrying utilitarian functions.
Such marketing cannot be called creativity in its purest form, since it is initially limited to a certain framework. When creating a project, the author does not focus on his preferences, but solves the customer's problem. The creativity of the process consists in understanding for what purpose and for whom exactly a specific product is being developed.
Recommended articles on this topic:
- Types of advertising in marketing: pros, cons and examples
- Social media promotion: strategy development and common mistakes
- The best tools of the Internet -marketing: an overview of paid and free
Any creative advertising is an example of how the work of a specialist in creating the desired image using elements of contemporary art makes it possible to achieve the desired result.
The main battle of our time
In the blue corner of the ring: an indestructible advertising approach with a signature direct hit “right on target” is standard. And his opponent is the approach in the red corner of the ring, known by the nickname "creative". The presented "fighters" are constant rivals in the struggle for the title of champion of the advertising market. And today we will find out which of them is stronger.
While a simple good idea is enough for standard advertising to reach the consumer, the development of an advertisement that is unusual and original requires a little more effort and time. After all, finding a unique idea is not an easy job.
So is it necessary to puzzle over the WOW idea and "storm" the whole office: from the accountant to the general manager. rector? Or is it worth simplifying your task by choosing a motivating slogan in one line with the corresponding picture? Indeed, a difficult choice. So what result the company will get by giving preference to one or the other advertising method, we will find out right now.
So, ladies and gentlemen, the eternal opponents are invited to the ring - simple and creative advertising.
Well, let's see who wins? ;).
Let's start our review with a standard advertisement and from that direct and uncompromising one, with which everyone has definitely met. It is as simple as 3 kopecks. It takes a few seconds and a minimum of effort to understand it. It is crisp, clear and to the point. Without hidden subtexts, intricate plots and complex images. And yet it is effective. It will easily knock out the consumer with one blow - ie. one single contact is enough.
The strengths of standard advertising are the speed of delivering information to the consumer and the speed of its creation with significant budget savings. If you do not have a developed concept with deep meaning, and you need to launch advertising “right now,” then standard advertising is what you need. She will perfectly cope with the task of quickly informing - hitting the target.
Also, why complicate your advertising message when there is already a tempting offer for potential customers? The 50% discount speaks for itself, and this does not even need to be emphasized - the consumer will pay all his attention not to advertising, but to a favorable condition from the manufacturer. The value of the offer itself automatically makes the ad attractive.